The following regional calendar strategy is simple. It involves:
- Regional standardization on the free Google Calendar by organizations and
- Judicious use of the description of each public calendar to transform a collection of individual calendars into a regional calendar.
Existing calendars need NOT be displaced by or even affected by the use of Google Calendar. Rather, they will be supplemented.
|The disadvantages of calendars like Trumba as a regional calendar standard (compared to Google) are:
- $99.95/month fee for single user compared
to free for Google.
- Cannot be readily compared/merged with an
individual's personal Calendar except laboriously one event at a
- Cannot be combined into a single calendar
for a composite view of your favorite list of organizations
- Cannot bring all the regional calendars into a single list with one simple search by any organization or resident.
It's true that regional Google Calendars could duplicate the information on existing internet calendars, but no other way to allow easy calendar inter-operation across the entire region and beyond is known.
- The strategy is enabled by the Google Calendar
tool, appropriate naming of each calendar AND careful use of the
description field published with each calendar.
- The inclusion of well known key regional place names in each and every calendar description will ensure that a Google calendar search using any of those words will return all the appropriate regional organizations' calendars to the searcher.
Next - The Advantages
Please note that this is not a commercial site, but rather a public service. I don't own Google stock or know anyone who works for them.